Monday, January 7, 2013

Day 372: She works hard for the money, so hard for it honey

I work hard.  I've been accused, praised, blamed, swayed, forced and chosen to work TOO hard most of the time.  Most people think this is not a healthy way to live...but I feed off of chaos and being on the move constantly.  I don't sit well, it's not in my blood.  Though most mornings when I wake up I swear I could stay in bed for weeks and it wouldn't get old...then I get up.  Once I'm up I can't imagine wasting my day sleeping when there is so much time in the day to accomplish some pretty amazing things.  I don't want to let that potential slip away.  That's time in the day to dream, love and do.  All of my favorite things.  The only problem with how hard I work is the lack of money that makes it way into my bank account...non-profit work is amazing for the heart and soul but difficult on the pocket-book.  But I wouldn't change it for the world.  My work feeds my soul, feeds my passion, feeds my heart and a lot of the time it feeds my stomach as well.

My work is what feeds me in the metaphoric sense, but I need to focus on what is feeding me literally, like nutrients, food, comida.  I have been doing the Advocare system since October and been successful.  So instead of making a New Years Resolution, something I usually quit after a month or two, I am going to make a life changing continuation of what I started months ago.  I am going to add a few things and take a few things out of play.  I will be taking myself on another 24 day challenge and then taking myself to a whole new level with the total transformation.  I am beyond excited for the changes that are happening in my body and in my life as a result to the positive changes I am making.  It has created a whole slew of positive changes I am seeking in my life.

But lets take a side track to talk about New Years Resolutions.  I was discussing and poking fun at New Years Resolutions with some of the amazing people in my life today.  Laughing about how crowded gyms, cross fit classes and greenlake are in the month of January.  How annoying and frustrating that is for those people who access those places 12 months out of the year and not just for 2 months.  That gyms gain almost 30% of their new memberships in the month of January and how many of those people work out for one month and then cancel their memberships.  Now I laugh, poke fun and criticize...because I have been that person so many times.  New Year, New You.  How many companies/programs have used that slogan to drag me and other desperate fat people into their net?  How many times has that slogan failed us?  Too many to count and way more than I'd care to admit to.  One friend of mine said today, "if you wanted to change your life, you could/should have done it already...you don't need to wait until the new year".  I agree, I have wanted to change my life for years...shed my body of the fat suit I've been wearing.  But I never wanted it enough, I wanted the initial and instant success and then when the going got tough...I got the hell out and went to the bakery.  Ahhhh the magic that is consoling yourself with your favorite complex carbohydrates and sugared up delicacies.  Then where was I?...right back where I started and most times fatter than where I started.

So...I'm not making any new years resolutions...I am committing to continue what I've started and continuing to surround myself with those people who are holding me accountable, that are pushing me to succeed, not allowing me to give up on myself, not allowing me to give up...again.  I WANT this, I NEED this.  Not only do I want this for me, I want this for the other women in my life, in my family.  We are all addicted to soda...we have been consuming carbonated soda since we first came into contact with my mothers breast.  I have been a diet coke addict since I was a baby, it flows through my veins, through our veins.  I wonder if they have DCA, Diet Coke Anonymous?  I have been Diet Coke free for 3 months, it feels amazing, but I can't say that it hasn't been hard.  I was home for almost a week at Christmas and I cannot tell you how many times I wanted to pour myself a DC or run down to the corner store and get one.  I caved twice and had a bottle of mexi-coke.  It tasted great and I felt better about that choice then choosing DC.  Since returning to Seattle, it's been easier to say no to it.  I am getting used to 'sticking with water' when I go out and I am still acid reflux/heartburn free.  I have been "free eating" for about a week and I definitely feel more lethargic and bloated.  I am actually craving my clean meal plan.  I have so much more energy, a desire to workout and as funny as it sounds, I move easier when I have the right nutrients in my body.  I'm even more excited because the two other amazing women in my family have decided to challenge themselves right along with me.  I am beyond elated, my heart is full and my expectations are HIGH!  I cannot wait to share in this journey with them and watch them succeed.

My other BIG positive change that I am seeking...freedom from debt.  I have accrued some debt in the form of credit card, student loan and car loans.  Two of them I am ok with keeping and I'm sure you can guess which ones.  I want to rid myself of credit card debt and store credit card debt.  I want to say goodbye and never look back.  My next positive life choice change will be eliminating unnecessary spending.  I DO NOT need new clothes, I can imaginary shop for them on Pinterest.  I have SO MANY CLOTHES, that I never wear, because I spend the majority of my days in yoga pants and Boys & Girls Club wear.  My work uniform is easy, yet I continue to buy amazing complex clothing that I rarely get to wear.  So...I am going to commit to necessities only (underwear, socks and pants that fit) for the next year.  I look forward to fitting into a lot of the clothing that I have purchased and never worn.  The big goal at the end of my debt freedom is taking on a mortgage.  That's a debt that I can get on board with, because it means commitment and roots...two things I'm ready for.  Spending will equal:  Bills, Food (80% grocery), frugal Entertainment and frugal Travel.  Will I go shopping with you?  YES!  Will I go to the movies with you?  YES!  Will I get pedicures?  YES!  I just need to be smarter about how I spend my money.  Costco sucks the life out of my checking account on a regular basis because I NEED everything they sell there.  Seriously...I do.

So...clean food, less money, more love.  New Year....continuing to be Amazing ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment